In October 1917, Farncombe House opened as a Red Cross Convalescent Hospital. At the time the house was under the tenancy of Sir George Hingley (a Black Country Ironmaster). Mary Anderson de Navarro of Court Farm, Broadway, donated £1,000 towards the hospital which accommodated 50 patients (who wore blue hospital uniforms). The hospital commandant was Mrs Walsh and one of the Sisters, Charlotte E.W. McNair who moved to Broadway from Croydon, Surrey.